Saturday, September 4, 2010

HTML?!?

Well, if there is one thing that these past four months have taught me, it’s that I am not a blogger . . . I already had my suspicions of this confirmed when I started the blog and began posting on it somewhat faithfully. The truth of the matter is that I had given up on this blog . . . I had given up on the Gray Area and blogging in general. Ouch . . . me writing that last sentence hurts even worse than voicing it to the four people that actual read my post. But, when I remember the exact night that I decided to give up, I can’t blame myself for throwing in the towel. When I think of that night, feelings of anger and frustration still remain.
Now, I remember what made me give up and want to throw my Netbook across the room—HTML. At this time, I would like to call your attention to the wallpaper and header of this blog. I would like to apologize right now if you are feeling slightly claustrophobic. You may also be experiencing feelings of nausea just as the Milky Way did when it vomited on this page. But, I really can explain what happened. That fateful night was the same night I found the star wallpaper. In the moment that I discovered it, I was so so happy because I really really really like stars (no joke).

I had already set up my blog several times before finding this wallpaper and I chose to use this artsy picture of a man standing in shadow/nothingness as a “cute” metaphor for the Gray Area theme. But, even though I found the shadow man picture, he just wasn’t right for my blog. I was always looking for a way to change it. However, when I found the star background I could not figure out how to get rid of the man for the life of me! I spent like an hour trying to figure it out and then I had the brilliant idea to go into the HTML, read the code, and fix the mistake.
I figured “how hard is it to read HTML?” At my job that past week, my supervisor sat in our staff meeting explaining to us all how to write in and read HTML. It looked easy enough when he showed us all the stuff like this




But really? What the heck does that mean? In order to solve the problem on my blog, I went to my internet source for everything, Google. I found that I was not the only person who could not figure out how to get a picture out of the header on blogger. The best response that I saw on Ask.com or something was “go into the display settings and look at the HTML. Then look for something in it that looks like it would be a picture.” How am I supposed to know what looks like it could be a picture out of all of that?So, I discovered that if I want to blog, I better get to work learning some HTML. This scared me because of my track record with technology. But, if I want to become a dedicated blogger, or at least try to be, I better start studying up on my HTML. Until then, can anyone help me solve my problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment