Friday, October 8, 2010

Types of Blogs

I am trying to come up with a topic/theme for my blog. I want it to be something that will transport my readers into a figurative gray area. Somewhere where things almost kind of make sense and merge together, but they really don’t. You know? Something like a Meta Blog that comments on itself. So, what type of a blog will help me to do this? I could make my blog be a journal blog recapping the daily events of my life. A blog like that would go something like this:

Today I woke up, baked myself a pop tart because I don’t own a toaster, fed the fish, went to work, came home at exactly 3:330, read a book, laid on my bed, joked around with my roommate, went to dinner group, and did various night activities. The only problem with this type of blog is that my readers would most likely get bored. I do the same thing every day, exactly. You can call it a slight case of OCD if you want to, but it’s absolutely true. So, a journal blog may not exactly work.

I could write a venting blog—a blog that is eternally angry. This blog is the essential, I hate the world, I hate my life right now, people suck blog. I could come up with a few stories for a blog like this. As a matter of fact, today I just got my backpack trapped in the door of a city bus because the driver “didn’t see me get on.” She was not even apologetic at all and explained this to me as me backpack was still caught in the door as she drove off. She finally opened the doors and released me. I wasn’t so much angry about this incident as I was unaffected by it. Ridiculous stuff like that seems to happen to me a lot. You just get used to it after a while.

Angry blog is not going to suit a content person. I couldn’t keep it up, for sure. But, maybe I could make like a pop culture or music blog. Those are hip now-a-days, right? I could talk about the time that I listened to Beyonce’s Halo like ten times in a row in the family history library one day, mouthing the words and head dancing as I tried to make sure that no one else saw me. I suppose I could write about new songs and stuff and not my own habit of pressing repeat on every song I become obsessed with for a month . . . or more . . .

I’ve been reading a lot of the blog, Hyperbole and a Half, and I have become quite inspired by Aly’s use of cartoons to depict reality. This gave me hope that I am not the only person out there who likes to live their life in cartoon. The first time that I read it and saw what she could do with cartoons my face went




(Luckily I drew this picture and kept it for such occasions as this.) I could easily write a blog that incorporates cartoons to talk about the human interactions. I am a self proclaimed MS Paint master, after all. My Fb profile picture tells it all. But, until I can come up with a legit idea for a blog, I think that I will try some different types out just to see how they feel. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment